SC - OT She made it!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Apr 29 21:53:08 PDT 1999

At 12:10 PM -0700 4/29/99, kat wrote:
>I'm preparing a handout for a class and I'm doing it at work, with all my
>books at home (i.e., I'm doing it from memory).  I'd love some input!
> Here's my list of items I can't quite remember offhand if they're New or
>Old...
>
>Quail/Pheasant/Etc.
>Tarragon
>Broccoli
>Cauliflower
>Basil
>Oregano
>Moose/Elk
>Artichokes

When artichokes appear seems at least mildly controversial. The Romans had
something they called "cynara," but some authorities think it was the
Cardoon. There seems to be some evidence that the artichoke was bred out of
the Cardoon in al-Andalus during SCA period, which would make it period for
at least the later centuries.

And I have both artichokes and cardoons growing in my garden. If the
cardoons grow enough I may even try eating them--the leaves are supposed to
be edible.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/