SC - Feast Steward vs. Cook

MAGGIE SECARA SECARAM at mainsaver.com
Fri Apr 30 12:55:55 PDT 1999

>Greetings.
>
>I am planting my garden soon and was planning on including several
>varieties of edible flowers.  Does anyone know if these were used in
>period and if so, what varieties?
>
>Thanks,
>Caitlin

I don't know if they're period, but pansies/johnny-jump-ups (violas),
borage, and nasturtiums show up among the edible flowers for sale here in
NoCal. Nasturtiums (which range through red, orange, and golden yellow) are
delicious, a tad peppery, and borage is sweet and a lovely shade of blue.

As for gillyflowers - in jr. high, boys often gave their dates a wristband
of carnations to wear - i would nibble on mine during the dance - by the
end there was often nothing left but the green leafy cup that held the
petals.

Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-Fassi