SC - labelling breads and such

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Fri Apr 9 20:57:13 PDT 1999

Aelfwyn wrote:

>I really like the idea of a small label card with each type of
>loaf and various kinds on different tables. If we put the maker's name on the
>cards, too it might be a nice way to gain some recognition for the hard
>prework this person always does. Thanks!

You're welcome. I like your idea of putting the maker's name on
the card. It's not something I would have thought of.

Part of the reason I did put the labels out was with the intention of
giving the *gasp* lazy feast attenders a clue. As much as I had hoped
for people to send their allergies to me prior to the posted last
date (roughly 15 days before the feast), I knew of people with
allergies or vegans who were attending, who were eating feast, and
who hadn't yet contacted me. I had no way to get in touch with these
people. The labels solved that problem.

Also, at the Troll, I made sure to have a very clearly posted and
easy to read display card with the exact feast dishes, their mundane
names, and all the ingredients in order not unlike the ingredients listing
on packaged food. This way there would be no suprises for people who
(I knew were in attendance and) had particular spice allergies (to garlic
in this case). I did not make changes from these ingredients in the
slightest.

I also posted a copy of the dishes and ingredients at the feast kitchen
entrance. I saw more than one person stop at the door, read the list,
and then turn around and leave. Only one person ventured in and asked
"are their tomatoes in any dishes?" I'm ashamed to admit that my
answer was less than gracious after the effort I went to for the lists.

I suppose I'm grateful my husband stopped me before I posted the sign
that said:

     "Pay us an outrageous compliment, put on an apron, or leave."

*grin*wink*

What I really wish I had been able to complete before the event was
the packet of my notes with the dishes rationale, original recipe,
redaction, and preparation notes. That would have saved me time
during cleanup when people were asking me for recipes. They could
have gotten a copy of the packet right away at Troll or I could have
handed them one after the feast when we were cleaning.

Jasmine