SC - Milham's Platina

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Tue Apr 13 13:01:21 PDT 1999

Lionardo Acquistapace said:

>Here is some further information on Madonna Lucrezia's request for Platina
>books. Amazon.Com has a single customer review that states:
>
>"A reader from Michigan , November 23, 1998
>Thorough, if a little stuffy, as it should be. While the first portion of
>this book details Milham's review and history of extant manuscripts of "De
>honesta voluptua" (On Right Pleasure...), I believe the true value for me
>lies in the second portion which comprises better than 3/4ths of the entire
>work. Milham's side by side copies of the original text and her translation
>are the true meat of the book. For the entire work, the scholarship is
>exacting, the notes copious, and the bibliography extremely complete. Well
>worth the price for the serious recreationist-collector (especially members
>of the SCA)."

That would be *my* response. :)

I ordered this book through interlibrary loan after seeing a kind
gentle clutching it as a brewing and cooking symposium I attended.
It was a very sad day when I returned that book to the library.

I do not claim to be an expert on the translation end of things,
but in passing notes from this book to friends I trust in various
language departments, they insist that, at a casual glance, the
translation is good. They've not had more time for a detailed
examination of the translation, however.

So for what it's worth, *I'd* buy the Milham translation in a hot
second. Now if I could just collect enough pop cans to turn in for
money.

Jasmine
gwalli at infoengine.com