SC - Ambergris?

Meliora & Drake meliora at macquarie.matra.com.au
Sat Apr 24 22:06:39 PDT 1999

Greetings all,

I am quite a few days behind on the list, so if this topic has come up
already then I apologise.

I have been reading a few late period marmalades and preserves recipes
that call for the use of a few grains of ambergris.

Now I know that ambergris comes from a whale and is therefore not
readily available - but what is its function in these recipes and what
do you guys use as a substitute?

Thanks and regards

Meliora
Polit, Lochac, The West