SC - Ambergris?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Apr 24 05:35:44 PDT 1999

Meliora & Drake wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I am quite a few days behind on the list, so if this topic has come up
> already then I apologise.
>
> I have been reading a few late period marmalades and preserves recipes
> that call for the use of a few grains of ambergris.
>
> Now I know that ambergris comes from a whale and is therefore not
> readily available - but what is its function in these recipes and what
> do you guys use as a substitute?

It's a perfume. While not an especially close substitute, many
contemporary recipes (to the ones you're working with, I mean) seem to
call for a few grains of musk, which might be difficult to get hold of
too, but you might be able to find some kind of essential oil. I know a
SCAdian who might have some information on edible perfumes; I'll see
what she recommends.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy