SC - Kitchen Steward Panics, film at 11:00

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 5 06:26:38 PDT 1999

CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:

> According to the reading I've been doing, one started out the feast with the
> more substantial dishes, and finished up with the "daintier" stuff.. which is
> why I've planned it this way. However, I'll take the advice to heart, as
> frankly, it sounds wiser to me. I set out to try and make this as period as
> possible, but I've made enough concessions so far this last one might not be
> a bad idea.

It seems also as if menu-ordinance practice varies somewhat from period
to period and place to place. Roast beef overall seems to have been a
_comparative_ (does everyone see how I've underscored the word
comparative? ;  )     ) rarity on the Generic Medieval Menu, while the
14th-century English menus I just checked do seem to feature "great
flesh" in the first course for a two-course feast. Evidence suggests
this was as likely boiled beef as roasted, though, so if one is going to
make concessions for modern preference...

> >  Illusion meat strawberries

> They're kinda cool. You take ground beef (I guess you could use pork too)
> make your strawberries, roll them in saunders and sesame seeds and roast
> them.

They do sound cool...

Good luck with your feast!

Adamantius