SC - After feast

Vicki Strassburg taltos at primenet.com
Mon Apr 12 11:38:03 PDT 1999

On the subject of clean-up crews, I wish to reassure you that it is a
chronic problem, and one not limited to the SCA. I have been a humble
lurker (and sometime tuppence-tosser-inner) for quite some time, but I am
not SCA. I belong to another medieval group and we experience the same
thing. Granted, we are not nearly as large as the SCA, but it's not
related to size, I think.

To illustrate the situation: In my organization, you earn the knighthood,
and it seems to be mostly equivalent to your knights, pelicans and
laurels. There is a title that is equivalent in stature that is bestowed
on people by the rulers. This title was awarded to myself and several of
my household for behavior that was considered extraordinary, and
exemplary. It was unusual enough to have been bestowed on us by the
highest rulers of the entire group, and not the rulers of the local
region. So what did we do? We made it a habit to stay a little late at
each event and help clean up. Feasts, tournies, whatever. Just spend an
extra few minutes. And yes, this was unusual enough that it was considered
worthy of our bestowed titles.

I offer for possible consideration Something that we have come up with
that helps the situation. In exchange for clean-up time, we waive the site
fee for a limited number of "tickets". It gets the place cleaned up, and
it allows some to attend who otherwise couldn't afford it. And ya can't
tell by looking who was a barter, and who paid the fee (so there's no
embarassment).

There's my tuppence for the month  :-)
~Maedb