SC - Tomatoes

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Apr 14 06:22:56 PDT 1999

>If tomatoes are highly used in the 15th century in southern Italy
>and grown wild in England, why can I not find recipes in England or
>France that use tomatoes?
>Much help appreciated!
>
>Sincerely,
>Jean

There is this about tomatoes in Gerard's Herball, 1633 edition, pages 345-347:

"Poma Amoris. Apples of Loue.
...In Spaine and those hot Regions they vse to eat the Apples prepared and
boiled with pepper, salt,
and oile: but they yeeld very little nourishment to the bodie, and the same
nought and corrupt.
Likewise they doe eat the Apples with oile, vineger and pepper mixed
together for sauce to their
meate, euen as we in these cold Countries doe Mustard."

Mala AEthiopia. Apples of AEthiopia.
...they are vsed for a sauce and seruice vnto rich mens tables to be eaten,
being first boyled in the
broth of fat flesh with pepper and salt..."

(More culinary snippets from Gerard can be found at:
http://members.aol.com/renfrowcm/gerardp1.html )

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net