SC - another - Rose water question

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Thu Apr 15 22:56:47 PDT 1999

lilac isnt toxic, i spent lots of time when i was growing up plucking out a
blossom and sucking the little internal parts out for the microscopic amount of
nectar in it. You get droplets of nectar from wax plants on the other hand...
margali of the brown thumb
[my mom and husband could make a picture of a seed grow, me-I kill air ferns!]

oh, and the apocryphical tale of the discovery of attar of roses[the original
form of oil of rose is:
one day the wife of the pharoh wanted to go out in her boat, and the pharo
decided to surprise her by covering the surface of the reservoir with rose
petals. the sun beating down on the rose petals forced the oil of the roses out
of the rose petals and onto the surface of the water, where it pooled on the
surfaceof the water. The queen, trailing her fingers in the water noticed the
essence of the rosepetals on her fingers and commanded that the slaves make her
more attar of roses in that manner....
cant remember where i read it, but it was probably some victorian'pseudo
victorian thing!