SC - My cajun mom's recipes

D. Clay-Disparti Clay at talstar.com
Tue Aug 3 09:09:03 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/2/99 10:34:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, harper at idt.net
writes:

<< My lord husband grew up in New Hampshire, and his family ate a
 similar dish.  It was known locally as "American Chop Suey".  A quick
 Altavista search on that phrase pulled up over 200 hits, several of which
 were cafeteria menus from public schools in New England.  So it
 appears to be a commonly used term for that dish in that region.  (And
 now we can begin the inevitable sub-sub-thread about chop suey being
 an American invention anyway...)

 Brighid >>
I grew up in Northern New Jersey. Mom learned a lot of her cooking from my
Dad's German family, though. The macaroni/ground beef/tomato stuff was a
feature of my youth, too. Never heard it called American Chop Suey until I
moved to New England. Where would our church suppers be without it?
And for my 2 cents on potato salad:

Potatoes boiled in skins then peeled,
hard boiled eggs, chopped
celery, diced