SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta salad-the mildOr...

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Aug 4 17:48:27 PDT 1999

>Thank you, Ras. As usual, your answer and your comments were witty,
>sensible and
>very close the kind of comments I wanted to hear.
>Do you have some concrete suggestions, about name, profession and location? I
>must live in Holmvik (I think Stockholm is called Holmvik) and I wonder if
>I can
>find a way to explain the presence of an Andalusian here. Maybe a scholar or a
>diplomat. Or a musician, since Hildegarde is definitiv my favourite
>composer, and
>one of my best friends in Stockholm is a professor in Latin, working with
>Corpus
>Retorum, a collection of middle age singing and praying.
>Ana, enthusiastic

Hi, Ana:

I chose to be Maghribi - that is, from the area now known as Morocca,
Algeria, and Tunisia. Since i'm really in Califonia, and this is certainly
not anywhere in Medieval Europe :-) i consider myself to be a visitor to
wherever "Old World" place an event is supposed to be taking place. In
other words, you don't have to consider your persona as living where you
really live.

Because of the way the SCA is, at least around here, in the Kingdom of the
West, Principality of the Mists, you can participate in any number of
things that you enjoy. You don't have to have it all figured out when you
join. Some folks don't even have much idea of a persona and just join to
fight or cook or have fun. Some people never really develop a persona; they
may or may not even register their name. So, you can give yourself some
time to decide the ultimate details until after you've been to a few
meetings and met a few of the SCAdians in your area.

You may find a compatible group doing something you already love to do, or
you may find that one of your interests is under-represented while another
is over-represented and that might be the impetus to deciding where your
focus is.

You don't have to be just one. You can be a scholar and a diplomat and a
bard and a musician. After you see what your local group is like and are
active for some time, then you might pick a specialty.

Me, i enjoy cooking and making music and doing textile arts and costuming,
so i just participate in everything i enjoy. I also intend to take up
"Light Fighting" (archery) sometime soon. I've only been doing this since
May, and i figure that i will eventually specialize in something, i'm just
not sure which of my loves at the moment.

I hope you enjoy being in the SCA.

Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi
Seeking more epithets for myself (since the last two are for my "father")

Bayt Anahita
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah
Under construction, but getting somewhere...