SC - sailing times

margali margalicuskynolles at 99main.com
Thu Aug 5 07:44:23 PDT 1999

Well Ana, I didn't respond because I saw all the other responses, and they
were all pretty good. A couple things you do need to keep in mind:

Don't let yourself be pressured into taking a persona until you're ready-
it's easier to go personaless for a while, until you're sure.

Also, don't get pressured into registering a name until you're sure. When I
was a Newbie, my seneschal pushed me (with the best intentions ;-) into
registering a name, so I did, but later found out that I have to change it
because it's too modern for my persona. In other words, Farrour, which is
14th-15th century French, needs to be pushed back to Latin, Ferraria,
because my persona became 5th century Roman/Celtic in the Byzantium area.

Also, think about the time period you want to play in, and from there,
consider what your persona does, in order to be literate, and to correspond
with friends in Byzantium. You would most likely want to be part of a
merchanting family, or perhaps a diplomatic family, giving you a reason to
travel and correspond with foreign parts- I'd suggest against a pirate
family, simply because it has been overdone, and most pirates of the time
were not people of any taste or sophistication.

You also want to consider the relationship you and your family hold to the
rulers of your land.

Hope this helps ;-)

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio