SC - Dog soup (OT humor!)

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Fri Aug 6 01:54:57 PDT 1999

Ras wrote:
>You got it backwards methinks. Translating is the hard part. Redacting
>recipes is a piece of cake! :-)

No, in this case it is the other way around. I just have to translate from
Icelandic into English, since the language of the 15th century Icelandic
manuscript is fairly similar to modern Icelandic. The old Danish is slightly
more difficult but still I don´t even need a dictionary for that.

To illustrate how little the Icelandic has changed, here is the last
sentence from the "Icelandic Chicken" recipe, first the original, then in
modern Icelandic:

Sidan hylia þat med deigh ok baka sem braud i ofne.
Síðan hylja það með deigi og baka sem brauð í ofni.

(The Danish goes like this:
oc hyli thæt høns mæth degh. oc latæ bakæ i en ogn swa sum brøth.)

One thing I forgot to mention: The Icelandic text has the characters þ
(thorn) and æ (ae); the Danish text has æ and ø (slashed o). This may not
show up correctly on some computers but despite that I think I should
include them. If that is a real problem for anyone, I could post a separate
version of these recipes, substituting the characters with something else -
just let me know.

Nanna