SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta sala

Terri Millette wayspiff at ici.net
Fri Aug 6 01:45:44 PDT 1999

Karen O wrote:

> You may remember I didn't give  *any* indication of time period,  coz I want
> to wear  ALL the Garb. and all the rest of the info that fleshes out a
> persona story can come in time  -- I hadn't thought about when/how I learned
> to read & write til 2 years ago. (and I started playing in '91)
>
> Caointiarn

Another consideration: in the past I've heard the SCA described as being
sort of, um, achronic. I don't think "anachronistic" really says it
well, but we can argue semantics another time (besides, I _never_ argue
semantics, do I?). The idea behind the Known World is basically that
we're travellers, one way or another, meeting through the SCA under
conditions that wouldn't otherwise exist, which is why we find those 9th
century Magyars married to 15th century Scots, or, for that matter, 5th
century Romanised Britons married to 13th century Mongols. (Mixed
marriages -- OY!) This approach to the SCA environment shouldn't
preclude the occasional departure from wearing/eating/speaking/doing
what your persona would, since we do sometimes follow the leads of our
friends. As a result, the fact that I'll occasionally dress, for
example, as a 16th century Scots Highlander, doesn't really affect my
persona or compromise who I am. It's just that...ahem... when in Rome, etc.

Adamantius (whose original persona was 16th century English)
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com