SC - Romantic Foods

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Tue Aug 10 20:58:33 PDT 1999

Linda Peterson wrote:

> It's a family joke to say to my kids, while throwing handsfuls of
> ingredients in a bowl, "Careful measurement is crucial to good cooking".
> They always crack up.

Pardon me, but who says this in not careful measurement? You, and we,
_are_ measuring carefully, just not with graduated units. You look at
the amount in your hand, and if you know it's enough, you throw it in.
If not, you adjust it.

Similarly, a fighter knows how to get her/his edge or point on target,
but isn't calculating angels, vectors, velocity, and range in
incremental units. 'Range' ceased to be a incrementally measured
distance, but a singular whole concept, not "3.12 metres" but merely
from "here" to "there."

I play music much the same way. I like to mentally get out of the sheet
music, and pay more atttention to the sound of myself and the other
musicians.  I stop playing because I have a B flat half-note on the
third beat of the 34th measure, but because that pitch blends into the
melodic phrase at that point.

When we cook by hand, we are not throwing random amounts in, but using
experience and observation to measure with.  However, to someone who
doesn't or hasn't yet cooked this way, it does look like just tossing
handfuls in at random.  :)

Seumas
- --
James F. Johnson