SC - early Irish -- recipes???

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 10 21:27:41 PDT 1999

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> Apparently, one of my
> ancestors in the fourteenth century was called Lord of Tondas de la Chappelle
> Du Bosc, somewhere in France.  The family names of DuBose and DuBois are
> anglicizations of Du Bosc.

Possibly, but I always assumed DuBois to be pretty simple French
meaning, "of the woods" or some such.

> Any ideas on where I might find a documentable
> mention of this?  The local herald does not think my family tree or the
> several online versions of the various spellings of DuBosc are sufficient.

Construction would suggest Bosc might well be  a place name. You might
consult a really good map. Another possibility would be to find out why
Bosc pears are so named. I just checked Larousse and found that they
don't mention Boscs among the various French pear varieties (and we all
know that non-French pear varieties aren't worth mentioning ;  )...).

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com