SC - Pennsic

Melissa Martines mmartines at brighthorizons.com
Wed Aug 11 07:34:46 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 10 Aug 99,, that Weaver8002 at aol.com wrote:

> When my grandmother taught me to bake bread, the most common measurement
> was a heaping spoonful.  And the flour was added until the dough could no
> longer be stirred.  (I got my weak wrists from her and we both turn out a
> very soft dough and kneed in a lot of flour.)
>
> Margherita the Weaver

Bread is the form of cooking in which I feel most comfortable measuring
by feel.  (I make all my own bread, except for the specialty stuff like
bagels.)  I will generally use a measuring cup for the base quantity of
flour, and then add by hand until it's enough.  Since I knead my dough
in a KitchenAid mixer, "enough" is when the dough ball cleans the sides
of the bowl and no longer feels sticky.

For many dishes, I need a recipe -- my kitchen instincts are not always
well-developed enough to wing it.  And I am usually more comfortable
with a recipe.  However, I can certainly assemble a casserole and
season it to taste without written instructions, nor do I hesitate to alter
and substitute ingredients in a recipe that I understand.

Brighid (who really ought to be doing last-minute Pennsic stuff)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net