SC - Heresey about the Rock!!!!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 13:06:11 PDT 1999

I'm just starting to catch up on the digest now that it's calmed down for
Pennsic.  Read the one recipe.  My mom taught me a slightly different
version -

Boil enough whole potatoes to cover the bottom of a dutch oven.  Cool until
lukewarm, and then peel and slice in nice fork-sized chunks.

Cook 1 lb of thick-sliced bacon until crisp enough to crumble.  Reserve all
of the bacon fat.

Dice large onion and then saute in the bacon fat until translucent.

Throw in a tablespoon of sugar - maybe two if you are using non-sweet onions
- - into the onion and bacon fat mixture.

Throw in at least 2 tablespoons of flour and stir over low heat until all
the lumps are removed and mixture begins to thicken.

Remove from heat.  Dribble in white vinegar and stir until desired tartness
is achieved.

Crumble cooked bacon into small pieces.  Stir into sauce.  Mix sauce with
potatoes and serve warm.  Reheats well in the microwave, or bake to reheat.
Do not serve cold.

Kateryn de Develyn