SC - Mystery Recipes

Steve & Kerri Geppert emster at augustine.gci.net
Thu Aug 12 14:20:41 PDT 1999

Ana said <<My other fascination is the Crusades>>
Ras said  >>Overdone.<<

But Lord Ras, you just finished telling her to choose the kind of persona
she is most interested in...and might I point out that she is in an
entirely different part of the globe, perhaps there are different
proportions out there...

Ana, I have one suggestion beyond picking a time/place you're interested
in.  Make sure you're going to be comfortable wearing the appropriate
clothes!  I flirted briefly with a time period requiring corsets, figuring
my discomfort was only because the garment was poorly made...but then I
borrowed a well-made corset that actually fit me (as stated by the
seamstress's Laurel Mistress)...and found that I wanted to RIP IT OFF AND
RUN SCREAMING OUT OF THE HALL after about 35 minutes.  I've also seen
people trying to wear light-weight Southern European clothing in cold
climates--and heavy Northern European cloaks in hot weather.  It is worth
considering.

Also consider just going as "Ana" for a while, while you try out a few
ideas.

As for me, I picked the time period when cotehardies and hoopelands
co-existed and when people wore marvellous headpieces, then picked a place
where I could speak or read the prevailing languages to make research
easier.  And I have found Marvellous Things one by one as I play with the
time & place...Chaucer...The Battle of Poitiers...the introduction of hops
into English ale...and most marvellously Curye on Inglische!

Lady Emme Attewater