SC - OT: persona development

Ana L. Valdés agora at algonet.se
Fri Aug 13 01:22:08 PDT 1999

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:24:05 +0200 Alan Jankelowitz
<alanj at mossmorris.co.za> writes:
>So sorry to hear of the passing of Ms Paterson.
>Thanks for letting me know.

You are welcome. Unfortunately I do not have cable and I'm only able to
catch the
show at friends houses. I have collected all of the recipes from the
shows. Many of
them almost seem period.

>How are the Lee's doing.

Sorry, who are the Lee's?

>Regards
>Alan J

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kitchen Steward of Household Port Karr
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com

Tuesday.
>She was 71.
>Miss Paterson had been diagnosed with lung cancer and died in London's
>Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, the British Broadcasting Corp. said.
>Trying to savor life right to the end, she was more interested in fine
food
>than the traditional gifts for hospital patients.
>"She didn't see the point of flowers. She'd rather have caviar," friend
and
>co-star Clarissa Dickson Wright said Tuesday. "She was totally larger
than
>life and a constant source of fun."
>Miss Paterson fell ill in July during filming of "Two Fat Ladies," a
cooking
>show where the colorful chefs were the main course.
>Perfectly happy to be fat, the women toured the country on Miss
Paterson's
>old Triumph motorcycle -- she in the driving seat and Miss Dickson
Wright,
>in Red Baron-style helmet, squeezed into the sidecar.
>They went from one cooking job to the next, chortling and trading wry
quips
>about food, love and life and happily loading their food with butter and
>cream.
>"Jennifer was a life force on the side of all things that were
politically
>incorrect," said BBC broadcast chief executive Will Wyatt. "She came to
>television all too late, but she left some wonderful programs behind,
which
>we will be enjoying for years to come."
>Miss Dickson Wright once called the program "a cookery show with anarchy
and
>a motorbike."
>The chain-smoking Miss Paterson, often filmed with a cigarette clamped
>firmly in her mouth, spoke with a ver-r-r-y upper-class accent and
boomed
>out her opinions at will.
>She wore black-rimmed eyeglasses, vivid nail polish and plenty of makeup
>while she concocted her dishes, which she once described as "domestic
>cooking, not flibbertigibbet restaurant cooking."
>She had no more time for body facism than for nouvelle cuisine.
>"It's the last taboo, isn't it -- fat?" she told The Associated Press in
>1997 interview. "It's all the fault of the Duchess of Windsor. She came
up
>with that stupid line, `You can never be too rich or too thin.' And
America
>took it to their heart."
>Miss Paterson was born in London, spent her first four years in China
and
>returned with her family to England, where she attended a Catholic
boarding
>school.
>She was expelled at age 15 for being disruptive.
>The nuns, she said, "had to expel me in the end. They claimed it was the
>only way to get the rest of the school to settle down."
>She got only one more year of schooling before moving to Berlin, where
her
>father had been posted in the army. She went on to teach English in
Portugal