SC - Mystery Recipes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Aug 13 03:45:09 PDT 1999

WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com wrote:

> FLUMMERY
>
> 1/2 cup single malt scotch
> 1/2 cup oatmeal
> 1/4 cup good quality honey
> 1/4 cup whipping cream
>
> Soak the oatmeal in the whiskey for at least one hour.  Combine with the
> honey & whipped cream.

A similar, near exact recipe was given to me years ago, under the name
"Athol Brose."  This was a slighty larger recipe:

fifth of scotch
gallon of water
pound of oatmeal
pound of honey
quart of heavy cream

The oats were soaked overnight and the water drained off and reserved.
(The oats were used for anything else, but not for this anymore). Mix
the scotch, oat water, honey and cream.

I soon modified this by increasing the scotch to a half gallon,
dispensing with the water entirely. I soak the oats in the scotch
overnight, strain out oats (and make loverly oatmeal cookies....), mix
in the cream and honey. This seems to have a similar strength to Irish
cream (I describe it as a Scotch version of such) and keeps
refridgerated for months, perhaps longer if it wasn't consumed sooner,
despite making about a gallon of such.

Seumas
- --
James F. Johnson