SC - Romantic Food

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Aug 13 04:15:31 PDT 1999

Being inspired (erm, perhaps the wrong word) by our rabbit and possum
thread, I made a casserole for some friends for dinner last night. Everyone
agreed it was most delicious. Here's the recipe:

Rabbit & Chestnut Stew
Rabbit (enough for however many people you are feeding, I used 1 rather
skinny Chinese rabbit I had in the freezer and a small 200g pack of fresh
meat from the supermarket)
Spelt flour (or whatever you have, but I personally like the taste of spelt
or wholemeal)
Butter (the real stuff)
Lager (or ale or a light beer)
Can of chestnuts
Shallots
Thyme (mine was 'fresh going to slightly dried')
Freshly ground salt and black pepper

Debone and cut the rabbit into large mouthfuls. Lightly dust in flour and
fry in plenty of butter until golden brown. Place in casserole with some
thyme (I used aprx 1 tsp) and add a bottle or two of lager and put on a low
heat. In the meantime, skin the shallots, cut the larger ones in half and
sweat them until they start to turn translucent. Place in casserole and cook
on low for three quarters of an hour. Don't forget to stir every now and
then, and add more lager if necessary. Season to taste and add the
chestnuts. Cook for another quarter hour or so. Serve.

Cordialmente
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536