SC - Cooking by "hand")

Mary_HallSheahan@ademco.com Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com
Tue Aug 17 07:36:14 PDT 1999

Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com wrote:

> Have heard from fellows that there was once a novice cook who served
> "cauldrons" of soup out of garbage cans.  Now they were *NEW & CLEAN*
> garbage cans but the concept so grossed people out that province rules say
> new cooks need to have co-cooks running with 'em!  Adamantius do you have
> details?

All I can personally remember was a plastic garbage can of beef stock,
into which coffee grounds, egg shells, and various other unmentionables
were dumped, accidentally, after which the beef stock was strained,
boiled and served at an EK 12th Night feast. Comments from people who
sat at the feast, without eating much, were something like, "There was
no question of food-borne illness because the questionable dishes
smelled so bad no one would even taste them."

That was many years ago, though, and we've come a long way since then in
careful sanitation as well as research. I think our culinary standards
may have come up, also, but that's a matter of opinion.

I'm actually not aware of a rule about cooks holding other cooks' hands
in our provincial by-laws, but it certainly does seem to work out that
way in fact. The perpetrator of the beef-stock thing was not, BTW, a
novice cook. At least not in regard to years of experience.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com