SC - "Chocolate in a Period Form"

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Tue Aug 17 09:10:35 PDT 1999

> *sigh*
> And which event would that be?
> Maredudd

It's actually in the on-line event announcement for the
Cloth of Gold event.

This was in no way meant as a slam on the Outlands or
the cooks of the Outlands. Shoot I've similar and worse
in Ansteorra. It was actually just amusement at the
term "period use of chocolate". I don't mind a contest
with chocolate or even chocolate at a feast (well, not
too much). I've even served wonderful chocolate
truffles at the Coronation feast I did for King Mahdi
because he wanted chocolate. If the event announcement
had said something like "an A&S competition making use
of chocolate in a creatively medieval fashion" or something
like best chocolate sotelty or somesuch then I would understand
the meaning.

There are a lot of problems with authenticity within the SCA
and all we can do is try to influence as best we can. As King
I did not forbid mundanity but I did try to request people remember
what we are doing and that the small things can make or break
the atmosphere. I do think I saw fewer Coke cans on feast tables
and such.

The same goes for period cookery. If we try to rant about how
people should eat period food then someone will gleefully
advertise a feast with "nothing at all period!". But we can make
our feasts period or talk period cooking with new cooks and not
make it a brow-beating expirience but a sharing of excitement.

Yers,

Gunthar