SC - Rice in period?

lilinah@grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Wed Aug 18 13:37:44 PDT 1999

> Maredudd wrote:
> >So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like something akin to hot
> >chocolate *would* be acceptable at a feast dated at, say, 1600. :->
> >Any idea exactly *how much* like or unlike hot chocolate it would be?
>
> I have been told that the period chocolate drink can be simulated by
> getting some unsweetened baking chocolate, boilimg that in water until
> it's
> a bit thinner than hot cocoa, add some cinnamon and dried ground jalapeno.
>
> Then letting it chill.
>
> Berengaria Ravencroft

More likely some pepper other than a jalapeno.  How about chipotles?
<snicker>

Colmenaro's recipe of 1631 calls specifically for 14 long red peppers.

700 cocoa beans
1 1/2 lbs white sugar
2 oz. cinnamon
14 long red peppers
1/2 oz. of cloves
3 cods of logwood or Campeche tree -similar to fennel or instead use*
the weight of 2 reals (or a shilling) of anniseed**
as much Achiote to give it the color of hazelnut

The source for this is Stefan's Florilegium.

* cods = husks or pods.  Logwood is a member of the pea family.
** shilling = 1/20 of a Troy pound or about 6/10ths of an ounce.

I remember discussing achiote some time ago, but for the life of me, I can
not remember anything about it.

Bear