SC - book by Lambert & London

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Wed Aug 18 15:58:31 PDT 1999

H B wrote:

> --- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org> wrote:
> > You could- but _would_ you? When I visit relatives in BC I come home
> > with an accent but it never lasts very long. And without a consistent
> > flow of imports, I doubt a coffee habit would take hold until _much_
> > later...
>
> Sure you would -- how long do you generally visit your relatives for?
> Couple of weeks?  If you spent 3 - 5 - 7 years there, as some of the
> crusaders did, you'd get pretty used to the habits/customs/foodstuffs
> you'd been forced to adopt as being what was available to you.  So
> would your buddies.  If you came to be pretty fond of coffee, and you
> knew you were going to miss it, and you were bringing home any spoils
> of war, why not assume you'd be bringing a couple of sacks of coffee?
> And once you're home, some of you may look into a less aggressive but
> still exciting line of work, like say, import export.  And if lots of
> your buddies start wishing they had more of that coffee stuff, and were
> willing to pay for you to get them some....

Actually the visits were more like a three day weekend. Good thing too,
because Aunt Sarah's cooking was so good you'd have to roll me out the
door if I stayed longer...

However, I'm not sure this is quite the scenario that Gunther was
getting at. And many, many Crusaders came home without becoming traders
(especially since trade was not a profession for a noble...) And I
haven't seen any real evidence of coffee coming home from the Holy Land-
silks, dancing girls, maybe. But frequent use of coffee would seem to
postdate the Crusades (the major ones, anyway) by a bit, so it may not
be an issue.

Yes, there is tea in my camp. Yes, there is usually a small tin of
coffee for the girls, and a box of hot cocoa mix. I don't try to call
any of them period. Wouldn't you rather talk about cuskynoles? ;-)

'Lainie