SC - (no subject)

SCAPoet@aol.com SCAPoet at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 10:32:18 PDT 1999

> Bear wrote:
> >More likely some pepper other than a jalapeno.  How about chipotles?
> ><snicker>
>
> That's entirely possible, my Lord.  I believe the person who gave me the
> description was trying to explain it to people who had a variety of
> backgrounds, and might not have experienced the subtle differences between
>
> the different peppers.

I was thinking more of introducing the people who dream up these
competitions to the subtle differences between peppers (Scotch Bonnet,
perhaps?).  I just dropped on chipotle because it is a smoked jalapeno with
a flavor that will leave people who haven't had them wondering what they
just ate.  Do I think the chipotle was used in Aztec chocolate?  No.

> >Colmenaro's recipe of 1631 calls specifically for 14 long red >peppers.
>
> Isn't there a variety of "long red peppers" that are sweet?
>
> Berengaria Ravencroft

If a sweet pepper is desired, I would consider the pimento pepper, which
comes in several shapes and might be considered a long pepper.  My opinion
is  cayenne, which is a long skinny pepper probably comes closest to the
description.

The recipes I've seen say nothing about crushing the pepper.  Using whole
peppers would reuce the bite.

Bear