SC - Lefse/hleifr

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 08:03:23 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
To: SCA-Cooks maillist <SCA-Cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Tuesday, August 24, 1999 00:00
Subject: Re: SC - OT -bellpepper baking

>We have talked about stuffed breads here before. Are there any other
>stuffed items (other than meats) in the medieval corpus? Were fruits
>stuffed and baked? What about onions? Ok, I do see stuffed aubergines
>in "The Original Medieval Cuisine". Stuffed cabbage perhaps?

Stuffed cabbage is a traditional Russian food, though I'm not sure if and
how far into period it goes, as I can't find many good period Russian
sources. The best one I have is an english copy of the Domostroi that I
found at Half Price Books a couple years ago. It has a few recipies in it,
but cabbage is listed in it as a needed food stuff. So I'm going on a limb
here, but I'd bet that stuffed cabbage is period in the Slavic areas. I'll
keep  looking for he documentation to back it up.

Anya