SC - Danish cookbook was Re: SC - Lefse/hleifr

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Thu Aug 26 03:47:44 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Anne of Bradford <rdwlist at micronet.net>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: 26. ágúst 1999 07:03
Subject: Re: SC - Lefse/hleifr

>> I forgot to translate the title; it would be something like: Cook Book:
>> Containing one hundred neccessary pieces about brewing, baking, cooking,
how
>> to make distilled spirits and mead, and are of use for a household, etc.
As
>> has not earlier been printed in our language.
>
>Mead?  Distilled spirits?  Are there any recipes?

Yes, there are recipes for these things. I don´t have time to translate them
today but maybe over the weekend. Some of them at least - there are several.

For those who are interested, here is a complete list of the titles of the
recipes in the book. Comments in parantheses are mine and as you can see,
the title doesn´t always quite match the content. I haven´t finished reading
all the recipes through so this may be the case in some of the other recipes
also. There may also be some inaccuracies in the translations, as I´m not
always sure of the correct English term - "mos" or "moos" can for instance
be translated as purée, mousse, porridge, pudding, mash and several other
things.

On baking
On brewing
On distilled spirits
On vinegar
On boiling
How to boil cabbage
How to boil pumpkin
Cherry prunes (dried cherries)
Cherry puree
How to boil herring
How to preserve various game steaks
How to keep lamb´s heads through winter
How to preserve cooked halibut, eel and other fish
How to boil a brining liquid to be used for meat and fish around the year
How to smoke meat in a hurry
How to keep game and birds during summer
How to boil green peas so they will not be watery
How to preserve goosemeat
How to boil and preserve rolled tripe (I think)
How to make liver sausage
Another method
How to make bratwurst
How to salt and smoke salmon
How to make chicken broth
How to preserve butter around the year
A good, quick sauce for meat (breadcrumbs, vinegar, salt, pepper)
A good soup (breadcrumbs, eggs, flour, water or milk, sugar)
How to preserve beetrots
How to make spiced wine
If you want to do this more cheaply
How to make white mead to be used at once
How to make white mead that can be kept
Another method (actually several)
If the mead spoils, how to make it good and strong again
How to clarify honey
A special method to distill spirits from rye or wheat
A pie of young chickens and other similar birds
How to boil watersoup (a parsley soup thickened with eggs)
Fresh lamb (lamb stew with peas and lettuce or sorrel)
Chicken in a broth (with rice)
Milk porridge (with aniseed)
A lamb liver sausage wrapped in caul
How to boil eggs (poach them, actually)
Another method (this is fried eggs)
Boiled cabbage or sauerkraut
Milk (a dessert with bread, sugar and rose water)
Apples with eggs
Applesauce
Fresh pike (boiled, with turnips)
Pike sausage
Sauerkraut
Salted ham (how to prepare for roasting)
Knapwurst
Lutefisk
Meatballs or skinless sausages
How to boil fresh pike (actually broil, then cook briefly in a sauce)
Carp in clove sauce
Another method
Pike boiled in the Hungarian manner
How to boil chopped fish (fishballs)
How to make sausages of chopped fish
How to make a fish pie
A fish purée
A purée of fresh pike
Broiled figs (dried figs, mashed with bread and spiced, molded into sticks
and broiled)
Apple purée
Pear purée
Gingerbread porridge
Beer porridge (made with rye bread)
Pea purée
Sour cherry purée
Pear purée
How to bake apples in butter
How to boil crayfish
How to boil fresh fish, young chickens, or small or large birds with herbs
How to boil spinach in the Hungarian manner
Baked Damascus raisins (rather, battered and fried in oil)
How to bake marzipan
Gingerbread porridge
Rice porridge
Elderflower candy (but not really, this is a kind of condiment to serve with
roasts)
A paste of eggs to be cut (a fried and boiled pasta dough, sort of)
How to make egg cheese
A good broth on fried young chickens
Chicken with horseradish
Young chickens with Seville oranges
How to make a pork stew
How to stuff a sheep´s stomach
Cow´s feet paté
Beef roasted on a spit
Roasted lamb, duck or capon in the Hungarian manner
Another method
Pork sausage
How to make small sausages
Another method for sausages
Pig or veal head cheese
Ox or veal feet in aspic
A good condiment with steak
A dip made of raisins
A wine soup without eggs
A good mustard
Veal steak in a special manner, as raw steak (kept in a dry juniper marinade
for up to 3 days, then roasted)
Another good dish (this is another parsley soup with eggs)
A good sauce for salmon, pork or other
Boiled beef with sauce (garlic sauce)
Mutton in broth

I forgot to mention the author´s name, Salomone Sartorio. Very un-Danish,
and may be a pseudonym.

Nanna