OT - Re: SC - re: digest

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 04:45:02 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Another thing I am pursueing since I am thinking about making wafers for the
> Royalty lunch I am cooking next Candlemas is cutting my baronial or kingdom
> badge or coat-of-arms into a taco press and using this as a wafer iron.

Hmmm. You understand my interpretation of this idea is based on all the
tortilla press designs I've seen; there may be others I haven't seen,
and you may be talking about one of them. Bearing in mind of course that
I live, to some extent, in an area considered to be Tortillally
Challenged. (This actually has been considerably alleviated in recent
years, but the views of outsiders change slowly.)

I've seen heavy cast-iron or cast pot-metal (zinc alloy, I think)
presses, usually rather inexpertly chromed, as if badly painted with
silver model enamel.

Then there are the less expensive ones which are thin[ner] aluminum.

Given the construction of either design, are you sure you want to do
this? Maybe you could have the plating stuff removed from the heavier
design press (which lacks adequate handles BTW, as well as a seal around
the edges to seal batter in), the design cut, then new plating put on.
Sounds like an awful lot of work, and probably quite expensive.

Or, maybe there's a press design I'm not familiar with, where this would
be simple. A cool idea, though!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy