SC - Cajun comfort food Jambalaya

Helen helen at directlink.net
Thu Aug 5 13:22:26 PDT 1999

Hi,
    I am waiting for my mom to come back in town to try and pin down her gumbo
recipe.  But it will be hard as it is like Julia child meets Frankenstine.  It is
ALIVE!  And changes with what is at hand.  Anyway my comfort food all seems to
have rice in it.... If I ever pick a persona I guess it will have to be asian.
After all this about keeping family recipes I am inspired to gather up some family
favorites and print them and bind them with lots of  blank pages and give the
books to all the members of my family for Christmas.
    This can be made chicken or seafood but I like it with really nice sausage.
This recipe is just the spring board I make it from.

Sausage Jambalaya

Cut up sausage and brown (I do a spicy kind)
Finely diced Green onions (Bunch)
onion large chopped
Garlic to taste,  minced
3 tablespoons flour
2-3 cups Chicken broth or water (to cover rice)
2 cups uncooked rice
Salt, pepper, hot sauce or red pepper, parsley

This is the basic but I add to it as the mood hits me.  It the sausage is really
spicy  I add less hot sauce to the rice for contrast.  Brown the sausage in a
large heavy pot and if there is a lot of fat pour all but a few tablespoons off.
Remove the meat.  Add flour and brown it to make a light roux. (blonde-some like
it dark but I do not for this dish)  Stir the rice in the roux about 5 mins till
it just takes a color.  The roux will be medium tan by now.  Add the onion and
garlic to sweat and stir the whole time or it will stick and burn.  Add your
spices and sausage back to the pot  and add the broth or water. Bring to the boil
Cover and cook on low simmer for 50 min or so till the rice is done.  You can open
cook it another 5-10 mins to make it drier if you like.