SC - Quince question

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Fri Aug 6 13:30:59 PDT 1999

On 8/5/99 11:02 AM sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG wrote:

>>    I don't know the after effects of eating the "thorned" flowering
>>quince, but I suspect it is the variety we have eaten many times in
>>the past.  Our favorite use of the quince is to add one to the
>>ingredients for Apple pie (sliced up very thin)...we also enjoy adding
>>raisins and cranberries.  Not strong period stuff, but sure makes the
>>crowd happy.
>    Efron le Fey
>
>     I only get a dozen or two quinces (assuming I see them before they
>fall and rot; I have no idea when to pick them), so I may try the apple
>pie route first (I know my apples are edible :-) and save the attempt at
>preserves for next year.  Or maybe I'll get adventurous and try one of
>the other quince recipes and just make a very small batch of whatever.

Quinces can also be used to make a jelab (Middle Eastern drink base) ...
I didn't know the word then, 8-), but I once made a ME personna lady of
my acquaintance VERY happy by providing her with about a gallon of syrup
I'd made from the quince bush outside the door of my apartment in the old
farmhouse; she was doing a Middle Eastern goat feast at a summer
coronation and the syrup was a surprise gift, 8-).  I remember NOTHING
except that I did do it, and it was easy (about 20 years ago).

Chimene