SC - "Chocolate in a Period Form"

JEANNE STAPLETON jstaplet at du.edu
Tue Aug 17 08:28:20 PDT 1999

> I have a photo of Rorik and Berengaria's coronation, closeup of the
> crowning, and a guard standing not six feet away, spear in one hand,
> DIET COKE in the other,

Good thing *I* didn't see it.  I did in fact hav emy mind and attention
on other things; and it wouldn't occur to me to warn the guard in
advance, "Okay, nobody bring any pop cans!"  because it wouldn't
occur to me to do such things.

> folks talking about the latest version of various Microsoft
> > products (we have a real problem with this one in this barony! :)), or
> > better yet, takling about who's cooler, Obi Wan or Liam Neesons character...
>

> > The SCA is a unique and fun place. No where in corpora does it say ANYTHING
> > being documentably medieval, except as one must "make an attempt at
> > pre-17th century dress". The fact that I choose to persue period stuff is
> > my own choice. I have no right to try and foist that off on anyone else, no
> > matter how much I want to :). Of course, in theory, that means no one has
> > the right to foist THEIR standards off on me, either!
>
> bingbingbing!
>
> My resources are stretched really thin right now, to say the least, so I
> am VERY picky which events I go to. And I am alot more likely to go to
> an event where there are more folks getting into the spirit of things
> medieval. I am less likely to go to an event where I am likely to see
> alot of sneakers worn with the 'skirt-style' kilts (I know there's a
> name for but I don't know it), guys standing around with a Miller in
> their hand, black label showing, or the tent next to mine playing Enya
> (music to open a vein by...:-) day and night...
>
> But I will go to an event and insist the girls put up their hair
> properly, wear decent clothing, and make period recipes for the potluck.
> The more _I_ do, the less the rest will matter...
>
> 'Lainie of the Many Hats

I think the thing is that everybody has hot buttons and things they
feel they can and can't do.  90% of them matter less to me than they
seem to for other people, because they're usually done for safety
reasons (sunglasses, particular types of shoes to accommodate foot
problems).  I've not yet owned a period pavilion, much as I would love
to:  I lack the talent to make one, the means to purchase one, and
as I frequently camp solo, it's easier for me to put together and
take down something shock-corded.  I'm acutely aware of it and I
prefer not to be someplace terribly visible,b ut don't always have
that choice.

The thing is that chocolate, in a public, official venue, is strictly
and purely a luxury, optional item.

As for what the Corpora says--I'm going to go off and look at the docs
on the web page (and I encourage any interesting parties to do likewise),
but don't the Articles of Incorporation say something about this being an
historical society and the ages we encompass?  Or is there just the
general mention of an attempt at pre-17th century clothing?

Berengaria