SC - My cajun mom's recipes

Helen helen at directlink.net
Mon Aug 2 15:47:12 PDT 1999

Hi,
    with everyone getting ready to go to pennsic but me, I thought I would keep
my word about recipes from Louisiana.  Sorry you will not like this Ras, I can
only think that you must have been made ill after a poorly kept potato salad was
fed to you.  Sorry no amounts.  I learned at her knee.  This has egg in it but
doesn't taste like egg salad at all.  Add more eggs and leave out the potatoes
and it will make a fine egg salad.

Gorgeous Aunt Marie's almost world famous potato salad

Potatoes, boiled
Eggs, boiled
spicy pickles, diced*
Hellmann's mayo (Best food's on the west coast)
Cajun or dijon mustard
yellow mustard
Salt, pepper, dash of hot sauce to taste.

    Fill a large pot with potatoes to boil. She fills a pot that is roughly 6 qt
pot with large russets.  you could use a smaller pot if you use the small red's
or small russets because there is less wasted space.  She leaves them whole and
peels them after they are cooked.   Do not cut them, put them whole in large
bowl.  Boil 6 med. eggs.  (this is for a large batch and cut back eggs if you
make a smaller batch.)  Peel eggs and mash with a fork very fine.  Dice spicy
pickles med/large dice.  Take a fork and stir in eggs to potatoes.  Do not over
stir.  There should be good size chunks of potato at the end and you will stir
end the rest of the ingredients so light stir at first.  Add 2 large serving
spoons heaping full of mayo.  A a small spoon full of yellow and dijon mustard.
Stir.  Add pickles and spices and stir.  At this point it should be soft and
yellow paste with big chunks of potato and pickle in it.  Add a shot of pickle
juice to taste and it makes it a smoother paste.

* Spicy pickles have tons of garlic and a hot pepper in the jar with the
pickles.  If you can't get them were you are, get a good dill pickle and add a
hot pepper and garlic and let sit in your fridge for a least 2 weeks and they
will be good.  They will get better with time and you can use the left over
juice to help the next batch you make.