SC - choosing a Persona

Ana L. Valdés agora at algonet.se
Wed Aug 4 14:42:33 PDT 1999

Dear friends: I am going to act now and after a nice letter from lady
Uta from Gotvik, I am decided to join SCA in Sweden and try to develop
my interest in period food and culture.
My dilemma is: what kind of persona may I choose? Which are the criteria
to choose a persona? Should I choose a woman or a man? A noble or a bard
or a nun?
Should I have someone from the Andalusian or from the Italian, from the
German or from the Nordic culture?
My favorite middle age people are Eleanor of Aquitania (mother of
Richard Lionheart), Cristine de Pisan (one of the most known woman
troubadour), Hildegarde of Bingen (abeddis, musician and doctor), among
the women.
Among the men Gilles de Rais (accused to be the awful Blue Beard),
Leonardo, Dante, Erasmo of Rotterdam.
My "mundane" profession is a bard, since I am a writer and a journalist,
and a scientist, if you consider my anthroplogical education. Besides I
am a catholic, raised by german nuns and with a cousin who is a bishop.
But I am fascinated by Spain during the Middle Age, a time and a place
there three religions and cultures could live and interact, the Muslims,
the Christians and the Jews.
I speak, naturally, about the Spain before 1492.
My other fascination is the Croisades and I have read and studied many
sources about that time and about Byzanthium.
Sorry if my asking is off topic, but I believe the choose of a right
"persona" can help me to develop abilities and knowledges I can share
with you and other people.
I dont want to choose a persona I am not feeling "at home" with.

Thanks in advance
Ana