Cheep and filling - was Re: SC - Lefse/hleifr

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 24 11:06:38 PDT 1999

"Alderton, Philippa" wrote:

> Ras mistakes me for Bear by quoting:

Oh, sorry. I thought it was someone mistaking Ras for Bear...

> >Hopefully not. The feasts we seek to recreate are for the most part fine
> dining at it's best. Years of work has been done to educate the typical SCA
> person regarding actual period feasts. The documentation of cheap and
> filling
> food does not necessarily mean that those foods were ever served at feasts.

I'm pretty sure this was Ras, anyway...

> We need to consider budget as well as desired recipes. If we want to provide
> the exquisite for those who can appreciate it, we also need to provide the
> inexpensive bulk for those who feel they need it. I'm really not into trying
> to fill up the starving hordes on, say, the 1 oz of caviar my budget migh
> allow me.
>
> Phlip

Another consideration which might bring this to a discussion of apples
versus apples is the fact that what we consider to be cheap and filling
(the two sort of go together, since if a food is cheap enough you can
eat enough for it to be filling) is not necessarily what would have been
considered cheap and filling at a period feast, even if the diners
and/or hosts _were_ looking for such a thing. Think of chicken, deadly
or otherwise, f'rinstance.

If I am understanding what's happening here, Phlip is speaking of
inexpensive foods for practical SCA applications, while Ras is saying,
in part, that period people at a feast might not especially want
something inexpensive. Possibly, but then, think of chicken. Deadly or
otherwise ;  ) .

In a strictly modern sense, it's all very well to point out that Dave
Thomas's carrot curls and slice of veal on an enormous plate aren't
filling, but then Americans tend to live in a world of one course meals,
where only the entree is important. The trouble is that the type of food
spoofed in the Wendy's ads is not intended to be the entire meal, and
not necessarily the main part, either. I know if I were served this type
of thing at an SCA event I'd probably be filling up on bread, too, but
when I eat this in a good restaurant, or cook it at home, I will also
have some kind of appetizer or first course, and/or possibly a soup, the
entree, usually including a vegetable and/or a starchy garnish as well
as a sauce, followed by a salad, followed by coffee, perhaps, and
possibly even a dessert and/or cheese. The portions are small but the
meal is pretty much as filling as you want it to be, and then some.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com