SC - structural gingerbread

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Sun Dec 5 13:43:42 PST 1999

Marilyn,

I see alot of other responses to this also but here is what I use.  It is
from the book Rose's Christmas Cookies by Rose Levy Beranbaum.  She makes a
gingerbread cathedral in the book.

3 Cups bleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 Cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup  unsulfured molasses, preferably Grandma's (use a greased liquid
measuring cup)

FOOD PROCESSOR METHOD

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda and spices.  Whisk
to combine well.

In a food processor with the metal blade, process the brown sugar until
fine.  Cut the butter into a few pieces and add it with the motor running.
Process until smooth and creamy.  Add the molasses and process until
incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl.  Add the flour mixture and
pulse in just until the dough begins to clump together.

ELECTRIC MIXER METHOD

Soften the butter.  In a small bowl sift together flour, salt, baking soda
and spices.  Whisk to combine well. In a mixing bowl, cream together sugar
and butter until fluffy.  Add the molasses and beat until blended.  On low
speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture until incorporated.

FOR BOTH METHODS

Scrape the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap and use the wrap, not your
fingers, to press it together to form a thick flat disc.  Wrap it well and
refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to one week.

Bake pieces at 350 deg F.

For Stained glass windows she makes the pieces of ginger bread then places
pieces of crushed life savers or brachs blue mint candies in the holes to
slightly heaped then bakes 4-5 minutes.