SC - structural gingerbread

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Sun Dec 5 13:38:09 PST 1999

Marilyn Traber wrote:

> Anybody have a good gingerbread recipe for the type of flat gingerbread
> that you make houses and sotleties out of? I want to do a gingerbread
> castle or treasure chest for our christmas party at work this year...
> margali

My mother used to make a ginger bread house every year, loaded with hard
icing, candy and cookings. The first year it caved in barely after she
finished it. The trick is to make the ginger bread early and let it
harden. She made it just after Halloween, IRRC, and let it sit until
after Thanksgiving, then decorated it. And while the parts were held
together with toothpicks while the frosting set, once the frosting set,
it was like cement.

The recipe she used was from a cookbook from the Time-Life series of
international cookbooks (two books as a boxed set, one being the spiral
bound recipe book). This was for Germany, IIRC, possible Scandinavian.
There is a gingerbread house on the cover. It takes three large bakery
sheets: base, roof, rest of the house. Check the library. I think our
University has a copy, so I'll check if you can't find a copy.

Seumas