SC - latkes

Terri Millette wayspiff at ici.net
Sun Dec 5 12:45:57 PST 1999

Margali asked:
> Anybody have a good gingerbread recipe for the type of flat gingerbread
> that you make houses and sotleties out of? I want to do a gingerbread
> castle or treasure chest for our christmas party at work this year...

I'm sure there are plenty of recipes and directions for modern
gingerbread houses out there. Does anyone know of any period
references for them? I've never found a recipe for them, but I do have
a picture from _Kunstgeschichte des Backwerks_.  It's a woodcut of a
Lebkuchenhaus, late 15th C.. I can't tell if it's supposed to
something that was actually made to be eaten or an allegorical
picture. Looks like round and oval Lebkuchen attached to the surface
of a house. Can't tell what the structure of the house is made of.

Wish I had a scanner.

Valoise