SC - French 16th century cookbooks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 10 18:27:24 PST 1999

I wrote:
> > "Nestle Carnation Malted Milk, original flavor" (there's also
> > chocolate)
> > This is absolutely the stuff the old soda jerks used. Carnation was
> > a major supplier of soda fountains back in the *olde* days.

and Christianna responded:
>	But, as the label says, this is "malted milk", ergo, milk with malt
>powder added to it.  Right?

Label says:
"Wheat Flour and Malted Barley Extracts, Dry Milk, Lecithin, Salt,
Sodium Bicarbonate"
so, no, it isn't milk with malt powder added. It appears to be malt
powder with dried milk added...

Now, the original question was:
>--one of my friends would like to locate a source of powdered
>malt, like the malt that the man at the corner candystore used to put into
>the milkshake to make it into a malted.  I haven't found any sources...

And i reiterate: Malted Milk powder IS what the man at the corner
candystore used to put into the milkshake to make it into a malted.
This is what Devra asked for. And in the US, Carnation brand is
probably exactly what the guy was using.

I still think it shouldn't be all that hard to find. First one has to
unravel the great mystery of which aisle it will be on. Even if one
is standing in the right aisle, it may just be disappearing into the
morass of brightly colored labels one the shelves. And the workers in
the store may very well have no clue, if you ask them.

I still think it's probably near the Ovaltine :-)

Anahita