My experiment (long) wasRe: SC - Help with old recipe (OOP)

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Sat Dec 11 12:34:17 PST 1999

Buttercup1126 at aol.com wrote:

> hey everyone.  i am a high school student in manhattan, and i just started
> recieving the mailing list.  i'm interested in learning about food in the
> middle ages, especially women's role in preparing the food.  if anyone has
> any sources on this, whether it be online or a book or a newspaper, please
> e-mail me with the name and possibly some bibliographical information so i
> can find it.  my e-mail address is buttercup1126 at aol.com.
>
> mattie

Hi, Mattie, and welcome!

You might look for Bridget Anne Henisch's "Fast and Feast", I seem to
recall that this has a fair bit on the role of women in medieval food
production, and this was recently available at the Metropolitan Museum
of Art bookstore at 5th Avenue and 83rd or so. You'll also probably see
Cosman's "Fabulous Feasts"; I suggest you avoid this. It presents
something of a made-up version of medieval cookery.

By the way, for what it's worth, the SCA is an organization of real-live
medieval and renaissance recreationists, and there's a branch active in
Manhattan, known as the Canton of Whyt Whey (originally the Canton of
The Grate Whyt Whey). You may have seen our Urban Guerilla Fight
Practices in Union Square Park on Tuesday evenings in the spring and
summer. See:

http://www.ostgardr.org/main.shtml#subgroups

and the listing for Whyt Whey for more information.

G. Tacitus Adamantius, a.k.a. Phil Troy
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com