SC - redacting

Peldyn@aol.com Peldyn at aol.com
Thu Dec 16 09:44:16 PST 1999

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 16-Dec-99 Re: SC - potatoes
by Philip & Susan Troy at asan
> > Greetings,
> > I have been told by several different people that potatoes are not period,
> > but if latkes are period, how can potatoes not be? The Jews have
been eating

> > them for centuries and they (the Jews) were in all countries. I
would really

> > like some clarification. Thanks!

I don't know about latkes, but I found the following reference in a
cookbook called Green on Greens : Ein NeuKochbuch (A NewCookbook),
compiled and printed on Gutenberg's press in1581, contains the first
annotated German recipes; and there are a dozen potato dishes listed
among them. One, suprisingly enough, is a very tasty baked tart.

toodles, margaret