SC - Cinnamon

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Dec 16 09:31:31 PST 1999

Vika wrote:
>But wait, maraschino cherries aren't the same as the neon red-n-greens,
>are they?  I mean, the latter (sold around here as glace cherries)
>taste way different to me, in that I don't spit them across the room
>in disgust the way I do with maraschino.

Eh, well, i spit them both on their graves.

I'm not crazy about candied fruit of any sort, but i can tolerate
most kinds (ok, i think candied citrus of all sorts and ginger are
yummy). I'm not fond of any kind of pineapple, except maybe fresh off
the plant, as i had when i lived in Indonesia, but i can tolerate it.
I LOVE fresh and bottled and dried cherries, but there's something
about both maraschino and glace cherries that make me shudder. Just
me.

I remember recipes from the '60's in those ubiquitous women's mags
(like Woman's Day and Family Circle) that used the glaced red and
green cherries in seasonal sweets to look like stained glass when the
cake was sliced. Pretty, but i wouldn't want to eat them.

About 16 years ago, a co-worker gave chunks of fruit cake to everyone
in the office at Christmas and it was really good. As i recall, there
was no candied fruit in it, just dried fruits that i suspect had been
soaked or marinated before going into the cake. It didn't seem to
have mass amounts of sugar added, as the fruits were quite sweet and
flavorful enough. It did have flour, and again IIRC, the cake-y parts
were dark, whether from added spices or fruit juices i don't know - i
*think* it had spices. When i asked for the recipe, he coyly refused.
It's possible he bought the stuff somewhere.

I was hoping someone here might have such a recipe.

Anahita al-shazhiya