SC - Late Fall/Early Winter Vegetables

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Fri Dec 17 14:35:06 PST 1999

Repectfully snip

> About 1,5 kg (roughly 3 pounds) mixed dried fruit - raisins, golden raisins,
> currants, apricots, bananas, dates, figs, cherries
> 1 cup brazil nuts, roughly chopped (or almonds)
> 1 cup brandy or dark rum
> 150 g (10 tbsps) butter, softened
> 50 g (3 tbsps) sugar

Maybe I'm asking a stupid question here, but is it possible to
make this fruitcake WITHOUT the rum or brandy?

I'm a Latter-day Saint and I simply do not use alcohol im any of
my baking or cooking at all.  (And no, I don't want to hear for
the umpteenth time that one can boil the alcohol off).  I know
that most period recipes use wine to base the sauces on, but I've
managed pretty well substituting apple cider or red or white
grape juice...  Can I do something like that here?  Which juice
would work best?

I'm not just asking for myself and my religious dietary
restrictions but also because I have several friends who are
recovering alcoholics and I would like to make up some sort of
fruitcake for them to enjoy while those who can eat the alcoholic
stuff enjoy theirs.

Merry Christmas!
Bernadette