SC - structural gingerbread redux

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Fri Dec 17 14:37:19 PST 1999

This came over the AnTir steps list and I thought it was a pretty cool thing
the hotel was doing. I figured i would share it with the cooks list.
Zoe

- ---------------------------

Greetings to the populace from the Autocrat of 12th Night 2000, Dame
Fearga Kavanagh-

In years past, 12th Night included a sumptuous feast for the attending
populace.  The growth of the event and use of hotels have seen this
tradition fade away, much to our dismay.  When we started planning this
event, we wanted to somehow continue the tradition of fine period food
at 12th Night, if not the feast.  To that end, the Cooking Companie of
Adiantum concocted a plan-they redacted recipes for three different
cultures, and presented them to the hotel, with the request that the
menus be served in their 'upscale' restaurant on Friday and Saturday
night of the event.  The Head Chef was delighted with the suggestion,
and has graciously agreed to the plan.
So-we are offering period food at 12th Night 2000!!
Below are the three meals that will be available.  They will be served
as complete, individual meals-you can have English, while your
vegetarian friend has Italian.

In order to assist the hotel in their planning, they have asked that
individuals who would like to partake in the special menu please call
them in advance.  You *do not* have to reserve a specific time (I have
explained the concept of 'SCA time' to the hotel) They would just like
to know what to expect.  You can call and say "I plan to have Italian
on Friday, and Islamic on Saturday," and that will help them.  As a
side note, if you have a friend who does not hear of the menu until
they get to the hotel, they can still get the food!!

Please call Julie at the Doubletree Hotel at 541-988-4017.

THE ITALIAN FEAST
A Salad of Several Greens
Bread
Saffron Rice
Torta Bourbonnaise (Cheese Pie)
Sweet and Tart Carrots
Marzipan Cakes
White Wine
($16.95)

THE ENGLISH FEAST
Honied Wine Soup
Roast Beef
Vert Sauce
Camaline Sauce
Sauce Oylepeuer
Frumenty (Wheat Porridge)
Whole Wheat Bread
Pears in Pastry
Ale
Steponi (sweet fruit drink)
($17.95)

THE ISLAMIC FEAST
Zarbarbada of Fresh Cheese
Sikbaj (sweet and sour vegetables)
Kuskus Fityani (Cous Cous)
Ma Wa-himmas (Lamb Stew)
Bread
Khabis Al-Lauz (Rosewater, nut, and sugar candy)
Sekanjabin (Mint Drink)
Syrup of Lemon (Lemon Drink)
($16.95)

Please note that prices reflect the cost of an entire meal, including
drinks and dessert. Prices may change *slightly* depending on seasonal
items.

In conjuction with this effort, we will be offering the recipes for all
three menus in booklet form for a modest cost of $4.00.  This is a
fundraiser for the Cooking Companie. Thank you for your support of this
effort, and see you at 12th Night!!

YIS,

Dame Fearga Kavanagh

Please accept my apologies if you receive multiple copies