SC - cherries

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Dec 17 19:22:36 PST 1999

Adamantius wrote:
>~ 14. Cherries. Milk of almonds thickened with wheat starch, ground
>pitted cherries, some sugar to bring out the flavor of the cherries,
>flesh great (i.e. slices or chunks in serving size of roast or boiled
>meat: maybe lamb or mutton or boiled fresh ham), & garnished with
>cherries on top. The color is red.

I would need to have some evidence before believing that parenthetical
comment. How can we know that "flesh great" must have meant exactly the same
kinds of meat in all contexts? The term does have a literal meaning, which
is much broader than just portions of beef, mutton, lamb or pork. In this
recipe, how can we know that it is not a relatively large amount of some
other flesh (such as chicken), in some other form (such as shredded or mashed)?

If this were a menu, there might not be any question. When great flesh was
served to the table, it was expected to come in certain forms. But do we
know that no other forms of great flesh were used by that name in cooking?

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon