SC - Hi

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat Dec 18 13:18:22 PST 1999

Adamantius says:

>What's the longest time period anybody's ever kept a fruitcake or
>similar product with reasonable expectations of edibility? Foods you
>hate and consider inherently inedible don't count. Was the food
>refrigerated, canned, etc.?

>Any other takers for the Gold (or should I say Old) Medal?

Odd that this should come up... I just pulled out of my freezer an extra holiday
bread (chocolate chip/nut with some kind of brown sugar topping) that I made as
a gift back in ???  It probably was 3-4 years ago, at least, since I can't even
remember the recipe.  It's just fine!

I'm one for not finishing stuff in the refrigerator or spice cabinet.  I recently
found a tin of spice that I purchased before I was married (back in 1967).  Hey!
If you use it, you just have to buy more and I hate going to the store!  I have
8 or 9-year-old jellies/jams in the recesses of the refrigerator.  No visible mold.
The lard is over 12 years old and sits there in case I ever need it.  Of course,
if I want to use it, I will probably decide it's too old and go buy some more.
Dulce de leche, that I made 5 or more years ago, is still good.

Alys Katharine, hoarder of old food