SC - Hi

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Dec 18 14:08:07 PST 1999

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 06:59:03 -0500 (EST) cclark at vicon.net writes:
> Joachim Von Schwabia wrote:
> > ... I don't think it will take to much for me to transfer my
> skills in the Culinary Arts to Medieval recipes. ...

To which Alex/Henry (I have such a hard time keeping them straight)
responds:
> That's probably true. You seem to be more experienced than most SCA
> cooks.   But there is one thing to watch out for. Experienced modern
cooks
> are sometimes tempted to substitute modern methods for period ones (e.
g.
> replacing bread crumbs with roux in a sauce).

	This is very true.  I think the biggest challenge is to try to get into
the situation of the period cooks and their arenas (to borrow an image
from "Iron Chef").  Reading period texts for recipes is a multi-layered
experience.  Once accustomed to obsolete language and the lack of
measurements, you must begin to really delve into the actual verbage to
discover the author's intent.  Then you have to remember whether or not
the author was the cook, or the transcriptor.  Researching period cooking
techniques and food will take you to the most unexpected places, you will
find yourself peering behind the corners of museum cases, just you watch.
 For these and many more reasons, no small part of which is the
background and tastes of the individual cook, given the same recipe and
the same ingredients, each one of us will probably redact and recreate
each dish somewhat differently.  This provides us with no end of fuel for
conversation here, which you are most welcome to join.

	Mistress Christianna MacGrain,OP Meridies
	retired mundane professional chef