SC - Cinnamon varieties (long)

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Dec 18 14:17:04 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/18/99 1:21:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:

<< Now, Ras,
 Just because one is a professional scholar does not necessarily rule out
 one's being a "real" scholar.  Just as one can be a real scholar even if one
 is not a professional.

 Mordonna the Cook, >>

True, Mordonna. My apologies. There are many professional scholars on this
list and in the SCA in general that I have the utmost respect for. I misspoke
by generically classifying any scholar into a specific group. It's just that
I get very frustrated when I approach University and museum libraries to copy
specific manuscripts only to be told to go away because I don't have this or
that piece of paper to clutter up my walls. I have worked long and hard for a
lot of years to gain the knowledge I have and for the Academic community to
continually dismiss me as a 'nobody' is patently unfair. Thankfully, I now
have a job that can eventually provide me with the finances to test out in
the majority of the 'required' courses at least to the level of a master's
degree and attend a requisite semester to fulfill the, IMO, silly,
'requirements.'  The next step is to convince my job that such educational
steps would 'benefit' the company so I can get the time to do it without
loosing my employment. A daunting task in itself. ;-(

It is especially hurtful when I am told that I couldn't possibly 'benefit'
from access to particular records because I 'wouldn't know what to do with
them.' Bitter? Yes, maybe a little, but then I feel that I am justified
because of the treatment I have received in the past regarding my avocation.

Ras